Thursday, 9 December 2010
Thursday, 25 November 2010
REthinkthings Liverpool display, saw a plethora of brightly coloured objects vibrantly contrasting against the black and green branded backdrop, celebrating new skills, new market focus and unusual quirky ideas. The products are socially or environmentally concious, Well made and thoroughly researched producing items which benefit the user or REthink what we need for sustainable living; from the material used, to how its produced, to how its packaged and shipped. 90 percent of what is on the stand this year, is newly designed, created and produced within the last 12 months. Ilsa Parry - creative director is one designer which who can really deliver.
"Liverpool was successful for us as it helped to consolidate the brand on a local level, with new products from unsigned designers I can now see the company going from strength to strength"
Each product is unique and innovative and REthinkthings relentlessly questions each object and questions how it can be improved for the consumer in response to materials, concept and pricing. The consumer can purchase a REthinkthings product and be at ease knowing that it’s sustainable, well made and produced as well as kind to the planet.
Friday, 22 October 2010
REthinkthings is a design led product brand founded and directed by Ilsa Parry, winner of BBC Design for Life with Phillippe Starck. Ilsa Parry operates as a creativity consultant and independent designer working with brands such as; Bo Concept, Lego, Boss design, McDonalds, Sony and Unilever.
This November, Ilsa Parry returns to her hometown to launch her latest work at Liverpool Design Show. Along with three new product collections, (ONMI bags, Sworth lamps and ForX tableware) she brings along developed icons from the previous year shown at Pulse in Earls Court, London and Maison et Objet, Villepinte Paris. Including:
Kaspa the ghost lamp (Now known as Spook) http://www.facebook.com/spookghost,
Flo the standing aid http://www.facebook.com/flostick,
Spyke drinks vessels http://www.facebook.com/spykeglasses,
Pawly dog standing lamp http://www.facebook.com/pawlydog?ref=ts
and Spierre the festival seat. http://www.facebook.com/spierreseat
Ilsa has worked hard in the past year to expand the REthinkthings range and since her last unveiling at Liverpool in 2009 Ilsa presents 12 new and exciting products including collections from up and coming designers Stephen Rimmer and Julia Jacob, to be licensed exclusively to the REthinkthings brand.
Liverpool 2010 uncovers even more wacky creativity and is set to be a visual delight, with the full range of Sworth lamps shown for the first time in a myriad of glistening seasonal colours developed from the original which won her first prize in the Liverpool Chamber of Commerce Environmental Art competition 2009. Sworth is a fun and attractive series made entirely out of waste aluminium from engineering lathes Ilsa will present these in red, green, copper and gold. http://www.facebook.com/sworthlight
ForX tablewear is also brand new to market. Consisting of three pronged forks manipulated and joined in a simple way so that a variety of candles or party foods can be displayed and consumed. it’s a quirky and ironic home accessory which plays on a reconfiguration of standard tableware as servers, available in three sizes, unfinished and powder coated. http://www.bouf.com/buy/product/28740/forx
The final innovation to be unveiled is ONMI, a series of multifunctional bags including ONMI unleashed, developed in partnership with the Liverpool Biennial and the larger version, entitled ONMI Forme. Both are made completely out of Velcro and offer unlimited variation in use due to the innovative rip and grip strips which allow the user to reposition and resize bag elements and pockets. http://www.facebook.com/onmibag?ref=ts
Other changes include new colours for Pawly and Spierre and a functioning prototype for Flo, as seen on Design for Life. All of REthinkthings products can be found online in the rethinkthings bouf shop at www.rethinkthings.co.uk
Notes to editors
High res JPEG images of Ilsa Julia and Stephen along with the REthinkthinkthings products to be unveiled at the show can be emailed to editors directly on request.
Tuesday, 6 July 2010
Tuesday, 5 January 2010
Since the design for life show and paris experience... my life has been like freefall...
I have been involved with so many new projects, and have achieved so much success that I thought it would be a good time to reflect upon the positives in the last six months... being the new year we often forget to look back and instead plough forward blindly... I will soon upload some images of the key things I I have realised, but for now, here is a brief list of my highlights so far and things I am now focussing upon:
- Kaspa shortlisted for gift of the year by the giftware association
- Flo finalist in shell live wire grand ideas award
- Pierre seat finalist in one good chair competition
- Exhibited REthinkthings products at Pulse
- Taught myself to use Rhinocad from scratch
- Developed Kaspa nightlight into commercial product and has gone on sale in 4 retail outlets
- Realised Pippa and spyke glasses with glasstorm in Scotland
- Exhibited for the first time at 100% design with 5 of the other design for life contestants curated by me
- Created a deal for funding to get patent applications on flo pending on US and UK
- Registered design rights on all developing rethinkthings products
- Registered REthinkthings TM and Flo TM
- Rejigged and updated website - due to be done again by 6 month rule
- Have developed 6 new protoypes of Flo walking aid with free assistance from two northwest universities including 3D scans and prints, currently producing a working prototype
- Have met with several business angels and am establishing separate business plans for each product
- Created a few new designs to be prototyped soon for REthinkthings including seating and vases
- Did 3 radio interviews about the future of the new business I have established
- Completed a bespoke furniture commission for Kirsty doyle fashion designer
- Completed a branding commission for flipog
- Completed my postgraduate studies, graduated last month and nowenrolled on a business enterprise course
- Established my "ilsa parry" design studio and workshop for commission based activities
- Exhibited with Mike Cloke at Liverpool design festival - custom stand
- Won the Liverpool vision innovation award
- In negotiations for establishing REthinkthings as a ltd company with investment for product development to reach the mass market with the work
- Was introduced to marketing and business development managers for malmaison by claire my marketing and PR guru at Avenham
- Currently thinking about developing furniture items for possible collaboration with Bo Concept
- Working to improve Ilsa Parry brand with Apropos graphic design
- Visitng lecturer at three north west universities, talks given at other institutions as guest speaker including galleries and design associations
- Storyteller bench for liverpool city centre refined and ready for production
- Swarth lamp developed and won chamber of commerce environmental arts award
- Recognised as course leader at liverpool community college on their 3D course and given an achievement award
- Exhibited at Pad gallery preston
- Was contacted by Heals for a product catalogue
- Commissioned for a big 3D medical education project to commence next year
- Was taken to Cannes by mcdonalds to pitch to Philippe avansi creative director for mc donalds europe
- Created merchandise proposals for Liverpool Biennial arts festival, these are to be commissiones and will hopefully be developed for 2010
- Was approached by Sony and Unilever for freelance creative work
- Met with and was taken to lunch by Ross Lovegrove in London- a true inspiration
- Saluted and endorsed by age concern UK for flo product - possibility of working with them to fund and develop flo
- Currently refurbishing studio to host mini exhibitions and to enable me to take on a regular intern
- Have applied for part time post in my current full time position to allow me more flexibility with freelance projects
- Have been offerred HE lecturing on a regular basis and have been approached by other UK universities to offer collaborative project involvement on a sessional basis
- Trying for a few new furniture packaging and merchandise competitions
- Currently updating software skills using Solidworks
- Just sent off a load of proposals for the Chester Rhino Trail next summer
- Sending forth new proposals for lambanana lighting soon...
- Doing Pulse on a large stand curated by me as "north west best" with 4 other north west based designers
ITS ALL GO! - photos to follow!